My name on my identification document is Daniel Chapman but I am commonly known as Mook Lion. I was born in Johannesburg but I have spent the majority of my life living in Durban.
I have just completed my BTech in fine art at the Durban University of Technology, I received a distinction for painting and 72 % for theory. I researched the social role played by Mural Art, Street Art and Graffiti from a historical and theoretical perspective. I also looked at specific artists working within these movements, and the role of art in general, in society. This informed my art practice in which I tried make art which was conceptually driven, with a fine art aesthetic, within the public space. I hoped to make art which had a positive impact on society by beautifying or repurposing wasted space and communicating with the public. This area of study was informed by my involvement in graffiti for the past eight years as well as my training in fine art. I attempt to analyse the effect of my work on the broader community through interviews and found the response was generally very positive.
I am also inspired by my travels to, Johannesburg, Cape Town, London, Berlin, Dresden and Stockholm, where I witnessed the positive effects of street art and public art on society.
Initially I approached graffiti and fine art separately; currently I aim at blending the aspects of each discipline which appeal to me. I am also a commercial artist and paint murals and canvases for private customers, businesses, night clubs, schools and organisations including Blackberry and Verimark, The Winston Pub and Boulevard night club, Training and Resource in Early Education, Umthombo and Alliance France, Crawford College and Port Natal.
I hope to continue creating meaningful work in Durban’s Public spaces, changing the appearance of the city for the better and to find new ways of exposing the general public to visual art.
CURRICULUM VITAE OF DANIEL “MOOK LION” CHAPMAN
Completed the Bachelor of Technology in Fine Art at the Durban University of Technology, 2012, with a distinction for painting.
Top 1st year student for 2009
Matric 2007, Pass with distinction
Freelance Mural and Portrait Artist
Promotional Graffiti for Converse, December 2012, George: 079 631 2886
Graffiti Canvas for Crawford North Coast, September 2012, Shani Judes: 083 509 5106
Mural for the Winston Pub, August 2012, Matt: 031 201 2652
Private Mural for Mari Pete, January 2012: 083 296 9433
Six Canvases for Blackberry Masters of Rhythm, September 2011, Dada 072 147 9911
Mural for Tree NPO, July, 2011, Carol Spence : 082 691 8313
Portrait commision for the Sterly family, April 2011, Hannah Sterly:0725454140
Mural for Port Natal school, March, 2011, Sunel Bodenstein: 076 786 4854
Private Mural for Tamlynn Rowles, February 2011
Private Mural for Mari Pete, January 2011: 083 296 9433
Murals for Snug and Safe Preschool and Daycare, December 2010, Ruth Ward : 083 779 1191
Murals for the Isipingo Hindu Temple, August, 2010,
Mural for Verimark at the East Coast Radio House and Garden Show. August 2010,
Soccer World Cup mural. June 2010, Greg: 071 123 4358
Portrait commision for the Smyly family, June 2009, Dianne: 0829254045
1st Place, Blackberry Masters of Rythm National Graffiti Contest, August 2011,
Dada: 072 147 9911
1st Place Sketch Wars Eden College, March 2011
1st Place Sketch Wars Winston Pub, May 2011 Warran Rysdorf : 076 840 5096
2nd Place World Cup Graffiti Contest, July 2010,
Still Free, KZNSA Mezzanine Gallery 21 May – 9 June 2013
Buzz Art Exhibition at the KZNSA Gallery 2012/2013.
Affordable Art Show at Art Space Gallery 2012/2013.
3rd Year and Btech exhibition at the Durban University of Technology, 2011 and 2012.
‘High Expectations’, group exhibition at Stellenbosch University, April 2012, Daniel Nel: 072038 1764
Mural in conjuntion with the Co/Mix exhibition at the National Arts Festival Grahamstown, July 2011, Andy Mason: 082 899 3091
GMT Exhibition at the Bat Centre, February 2011 Mike Johnson: 082 371 9250
KZNSA BUZZART Christmas Exhibition, December 2010/ January 2011: Emmaline:031 277 1705
Christmas Exhibition at Artspace, December 2009/ January 2010: Karen: 031 3120793+2+27 (0)31 312-
Off the wall Exhibition at Artspace, 2007 Karen: 031 3120793+2+27 (0)31 312-
I worked as a volunteer at Umthombo Street Children from 23 May – 16 June 2011. I spent the majority of my time working with their arts program. I managed to arrange paint sponsorship from five different hardware stores. I assisted the children in completing four murals around the South Beach area. I have maintained involvement with Umthombo. Mxolisi Sithole, Arts Coordinator: 076 125 0411
Hobbies/ Interests: Surfing, Skateboarding, Creating art, Music and Reading
Travels: Zambia, Mozambique, Morocco, Sweden, Germany, England, South Africa
Anthony Starkey – HOD Fine art and Jewlery Design. Contact : 083 456 8426
List of Previous Installations/Exhibitions
• Buzz Art Exhibition at the KZNSA Gallery 2012/2013.
• Affordable Art Show at Art Space Gallery 2012/2013.
• 3rd Year and Btech exhibition at the Durban University of Technology, 2011 and 2012.
• ‘Still Free Street Art Exhibition’ Anton Lembede Street, September 2012.
• ‘Durban’s Elephants’ various wheat paste installations in Warwick junction, the CBD, Glenwood, Umbilo, Berea and Morningside.
June, July , August 2012.
• ‘Workers Day Mural’, Dr Pixley kaSeme Street, May 2012.
• ‘Still Free’ mural in Berea Park, April 2012.
• ‘Dalbridge Bridge’ mural at Durban’s Skate Park, April 2012.
• ‘High Expectations’, group exhibition at Stellenbosch University, April 2012, Daniel Nel: 072038 1764
• ‘Still Free’ various wheat paste installations in the CBD, Berea and Glenwood. February – March 2012.
• ‘Still Free’ mural in City Campus, October 2011
• ‘Still Free’ mural at Alliance Francaise, 2011.
• ‘Home owner’s son’ mural on Hope Road, Morningside, 2011.
• ‘Multi-Racial Fruit Bat Family’ mural in Baxter Avenue, 2011.
• Mural in conjunction with the Co/Mix exhibition at the National Arts Festival Grahamstown, July 2011.
• Four murals with the Umthombo Street Children at the skate park, in South Beach and at the inside the home. May / June 2011.
• GMT Exhibition at the Bat Centre, February.
• ‘World Cup Soccer’ mural on Argyle Road, 2010.
• Kznsa Christmas Exhibition, December 2010/ January 2011
• Christmas Exhibition at Artspace, December 2009/ January 2010
• Off the wall Exhibition at Artspace, 2007 27 (0)31 312-
Graffiti murals and mural jobs excluded.
Exhibitions at the KZNSA
Footnotes in The City
Mezzanine and Park Galleries