- 26 May 2023
OPEN CALL ‘SCENORAMA ETHEKWINI’ CRITICAL WRITING WORKSHOP AT KZNSA GALLERY:
SCENORAMA eThekwini KZNSA Gallery in collaboration with The Javett Art Centre at the University of Pretoria (Javett-UP) are hosting an NAC-funded critical writing workshop. The workshop will take place within the curatorial project SCENORAMA, a travelling exhibition curated by Javett-UP curatorial director, Gabi Ngcobo assisted by Gillian Fleischmann. The workshop will address the need to develop and nurture quality arts-journalism and critical writing in Durban eThekwini (and South Africa).
The workshop will focus on how writers can identify their strengths and weaknesses and how they can develop effective arguments. This will be mediated through discussion and feedback sessions on the written pieces.
- Encourage responses from aspiring writers to artworks in critical and engaging writing.
- Sharpen skills for discussing artworks, both complete and in process, as well as refine critical writing skills.
- Explore different writing styles for digital publication, from short-form reviews to long-form features and interviews.
- Contribute to the ongoing discourse about the nature and possible meanings of the current exhibition at KZNSA, the SCENORAMA.
Application Requirements for participants:
- Short biography; no more than 150 words.
- Motivation for participation, 200-250 words; including reference to any prior writing or specific desire for writing on a particular artwork or artist.
- Indication of availability to attend workshops on Saturday, 27 May 2023 and Sunday, 28 May 2023 from 10h00-15h00 on both dates.
- Adherence to editorial deadlines on Tuesday, 30 May 2023 and Friday, 02 June 2023 at 12h00 noon.
- IsiZulu and English-speaking writers are encouraged to apply
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please ensure all application requirements are collated onto ONE DOCUMENT and attached by
TUESDAY, 23 MAY 2023 at 17h00. (No late applications). Participants notified by 25 May 2023.